Monday, October 10, 2005

Kernel Sanders

Although it may be too late to prevent you from making the same mistake I did, I should warn all users of NVIDIA cards that the latest version of the Ubuntu kernel lacks support for the official "nvidia" driver. After the update, I couldn't start the X server. I had to edit /etc/fstab to use the "nv" driver, which leaves me with noticeably decreased performance. Until I did, X complained of not having usable configurations and subsequently claimed I had "no screens." I'm too busy with my work to figure out a way to revert to an earlier version, so I'll just bear with it until another version is released.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Fear not; the latest version fixes the problem.