The Gnome desktop network mounter, the smbclient and a native MS-Windows-2k manage to display Umlaute in filenames from a Linux Samba server just fine.
Using smbmount however, an ls command merely displays "?" in lieu of the Umlauts in concerned filenames.
Trying out many combinations of iocharset and codepage options I finally got Umlaute to display fine as follows:
mount -t smbfs -o username=xyz,uid=hoehle,gid=hoehle,file_mode=0640,codepage=cp437,
iocharset=utf8 //10.0.0.79/hoehle /mnt/samba
which seems equivalent to:
smbmount //10.0.0.79/hoehle /mnt/samba -o username=xyz,uid=hoehle,gid=hoehle,file_mode=0640,codepage=cp437,
codepage=utf8,iocharset=utf8 produces :x84 :x9a for some umlauts in ls output.
codepage=iso8859-1 produces :0084 :009a instead.
codepage=cp437, utf16 or utf-16 produce "?" instead.
codepage=cp852,iocharset=utf8 finally works.
codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8 also works.
Note that the iocharset option must be given as well.
man mount on fat says: "By default, codepage 437 is used."
For consistency, I'd expect similar defaults with smbfs.
Similarly, I'm quite surprised that iocharset=utf8 is needed. I'd thought most Linux software did the transition to UTF-8 these days (since Hoary, Warty was not fully there).
smbfs should be as easy to use and provide similar defaults as all of smbclient, the Gnome desktop and MS-Windows do.
Affects: Dapper with http://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/
In case you didn't read the whole report, I'll sum it up. If you mount your share with the options codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8, for example, special characters like the umlaut will display correctly.
I used codepage 437 because it's the default for FAT and VFAT filesystems. I haven't tested it with codepage 852 nor do I plan to do so.
If you have success with another codepage option, I invite you to post your experience here so other readers may benefit from your efforts.