- Create a script in your home directory. I put it in ~/scripts and called it mailto.sh.
- As of today, this script works with Firefox 3.0.3:
firefox "https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&ui=1&to=`echo $1 | sed 's/mailto://'`"
- Make the script executable:
chmod u+x ~/scripts/mailto.sh(or a+x if you want to allow all other users to run it)
- Go to System → Preferences → Preferred Applications.
- Set Mail Reader to Custom, and enter the path to the script.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Using Gmail as the default mail client in Ubuntu
I finally got annoyed with Evolution opening up every time I clicked a mailto link in Firefox. So I did a little Googling and came up with this: